How to present like Dave Coplin
Yesterday at FutureCommerce 2011, I had the ‘simple’ task of presenting straight after Dave Coplin, Search Evangalist at Microsoft. I say simple with a touch of sarcasm, based on the fact that Dave is THE best presenter I have ever had the pleasure of listening to and watching.
Following Dave’s presentation I felt compelled to write up what I felt are some of the key ingredients to how Dave does his stuff. So here goes…
- Roam around the stage
- Use plenty of single image slides
- Tell real life stories
- Reference things that have driven you on
- Know your content inside out
- Don’t conform to the usual presentation style/delivery
- Engage the audience
- Take the piss with some of your content (particularly data & graphs)
- Use clever, striking photos, not the usual stock photography crap
- Don’t take yourself too seriously
- Grow your hair
I chatted to Dave after my presentation, and he was upfront in saying that he presents very regularly, although doing something regularly doesn’t necessarilly mean you’ll become a master in it – but Dave sure has in my opinion.
Right I’m off to grow my hair…